Tuesday, August 19, 2008

365 Days Around the Sun - A Message from your Son


It's been 365 days but it seems like yesterday. The pain hasn't dulled and we think about you everyday. I miss the short talks we had when you use to phone to find out how everyone was doing. I am so talkative that it usually started off as you asking how everything was and I would say good, and then you would ask about the kids and I would come up with an illustrated response .... good. I would ask about if you had seen any animals and you would tell me about the various birds and that the hummingbirds were starting to show up. Then I would ask if you wanted to talk to Mary and you would say yes because you weren't getting too much out of me. Mary would then proceed to talk your ear off.....not that I didn't want to talk but I knew Mary would be much better at it than me. But you know that I was always quiet and you knew that I was more of a thinker. What I am better at is writing my thoughts....so if I had a chance to tell you a short story about some of the things that went on this year since you have been gone it would be something like this......

We have missed you dearly. It has been very tough and Robyn and Willem always talk about you. In the day they think you are playing in the clouds and that at night your the bright star in the sky. They know you aren't sick anymore and that you are always looking in on them. Robyn and Willem learned to snowski this year....Robyn was a natural...Willem, not so much....a bit young I think. We built a hockey rink in the back yard and the kids loved it, well maybe not as much as me! Robyn has her dad's skating ability I think....Willem did very well but mostly liked being pulled around on my hockey stick. We had some beautiful days up at the cabin this winter and dad and I managed to get out a few times on the hill....we had a couple of deep powder, blue sky days that were amazing.


We took the kids to Disneyland in Feb. We surprised them...they thought we were flying to Kelowna but then told them we were in Disneyland when we were in the airport...very excited but also very confused. I remember a bit from when you guys took me when I was 5 but I am sure it all changed.


Willem loves to play "octogon" fighting but I had to put a stop to that as he was giving kids at the dayhome flying elbows.....he is hilarious and is definitely a boy. Robyn had a great year in soccer and scored 5 goals in one of the playoff games. They both were in swimming lessons and robyn was the only girl in her class but held her own with the boys. Willem had troubles listening to his instructor but did progress and you would be glad to know that he is no longer scared of the waves.

You will also be happy to know that we were accepted back to do a teacher exchange and that I am going to keep writing my blog that I know you looked forward to reading. You had felt so bad for us having to cancel last time so no worries this one is for you. We will take your grandchildren to many places so that they can experience as much as they can......they will have the adventurous spirit as you do.

Summer was good. It was really hot in July and Mary and the kids stayed at the cabin most of the summer. Your garden is doing very well, however, none of us have quite the green thumb you have. Mary and Marylynne did their best to keep things weeded and thinned out. Fishing was great this year....you would have heard lots of fish stories from me....but I did have witnesses and photos to prove it this time!


Don't worry about Dad, well, maybe a little....he is making your floor dirty and bringing sawdust into the house...ha. I think he might miss your cooking as well. He is getting ready to start your house and the plans look great! We will try and get him to come to Australia this winter for a visit as I am sure that is what you would want him to do....but I wonder how will he pack for himself? We will take care of him, don't worry.

Your other grandson broke his arm recently....you had a son that was injury prone so you would have been use to this news....oh just a broken arm.

There is so much more to tell and if the kids are right you already know what is going on with us. We love you mom....grandma.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat...what a great letter...there is not a day that goes by that I don't think for her either. She was so loving, thoughtful, oh there is too many words to describe her. We all miss her sooooo much but now after 365 days I'm am starting to think of all the good times I had with her. She was such a wonderful person. Start thinking of the good times with her (there was so many) and it will help. We will never forget her that's for sure. I'm so glad she was my sister.

Love
Auntie Jo Jo

Anonymous said...

Actually, i'm speechless and i can't find the keys because of the tears in my eyes.....what a great way to share our memories.....memories that will last forever!

Love,
Vicki